Former Memphis School Site
From The Master Plan - Old Brooklyn Community Development Corporation
The 2.4-acre parcel, former site of Memphis Elementary School, is located on Memphis Avenue, and W.41st Street. It is located in a dense residential area that is dominated by single and two-family houses. The school building was demolished in 2007 and the site was cleared. This amount of clean, open land in such a dense neighborhood presents several opportunities of great potential that will serve the greater community.
There are three options for the redevelopment of the Memphis School site:
- Residential development that is designed for a niche group, to create a “village” utilizing unique architecture.
- establish a Charter school to add educational options for neighborhood families as well as jobs.
- Urban farm/community garden: Use the cleared site of the former Memphis School as agriculturally productive land to be worked by households in the Memphis Road residential area.
- A community garden/city farm could be either a temporary or long-term use depending on community goals and market.
- Work with Ben Franklin community garden and OSU Extension - Contact Summer Sprout, OSU for guidance and funds.
- Provide open space connection north to the Zoo as link to the Valley.